Buying a new car, needsome questions answered pls help.?

i want to stay on my faters insurance policy but i want the car in my name and registered to me.
so i own the car and the registration but dont want my own seperate inssurance policy. is this acceptable? if not can the car be owned by me and registered to him.
please help, this is all so confusing.

Other answer:

Cars are insured, not people. You can't "stay" on Dad's insurance because you were never on it to begin with. You were merely listed as living in Dad's household because you have a drivers license. His car was insured for anyone to occasionally drive it , with permission and a had valid drivers license.

"Register" simply means to "buy license plates for". If you are the titled owner of the car, then YOU must buy the plates. If Dad owns the car, DAD must buy the plates. As for the insurance: It is NOT true that the owner of a vehicle MUST insure the vehicle….. Anyone with an (a) "insurable interest" in the car can buy the insurance for the car but what you and so many others don't seem to understand is that what is MOST important, is informing the insurance company who the principal driver of the car will be. You *MUST* inform the insurance company that fact. If you lie and say Dad will be the principal driver and the insurance company finds out that it is you who is the principal driver then any claim may be denied and it is also possible that insurance fraud charges will be brought on Dad and on you. You need to understand that the insurance company sets its rates mostly on the principal driver and much, much less on who happens to own the car and even on the make, model and year of the car All of this means, that you won't save any money on insurance by having Dad be the owner if you are the reported principal driver. Also…..If you are under age 18, you can insure a car but you will need a parent's signature to enter into the insurance contract.

(a) Legal definition of Insurable Interest:
"A right, benefit, or advantage arising out of property that is of such nature that it may properly be indemnified.
In the law of insurance, the insured must have an interest in the subject matter of his or her policy, or such policy will be void and unenforceable since it will be regarded as a form of gambling. An individual ordinarily has an insurable interest when he or she will obtain some type of financial benefit from the preservation of the subject matter, or will sustain pecuniary loss from its destruction or impairment when the risk insured against occurs.
Insurable interest is not dependent upon who pays the premiums of the policy. In addition, different people can have separate insurable interests in the same subject matter or property."

Insurance 101 should be required to be taught before a drivers license is issued. It is so important and so many people have no clue how it works. Since that is not required, sit down with an insurance agent and get a quick lesson in insurance basics.

Remember also……Never lie to an insurance company….. NEVER !

Obi Wan Knievel:
You'll have to ignore the answer from g, because it's completely wrong.

No you can't insure your car under someone else's policy and still be covered. The policy has to be issued to the legal owner of the vehicle, or it won't be valid. That's the law in every state and province.

The owner, not the driver, is legally responsible for their vehicle and any loss or damage it causes. Your dad isn't the owner of your vehicle, you are. That means the 'named insured' on the insurance policy has to be you, because nobody else is responsible for your vehicle.

Ask your dad's insurance provider if they can offer some of the discounts he qualifies for, like renewal or multi-vehicle, and they might say yes. But as tempting as it will be, don't lie to them. Lying to an insurance company (or just hiding the truth) is a total contract killer.

In the UK, if you own the car, then you must be the policyholder for the insurance, as your father does not have an "insurable interest" in the car (i.e. he doesn't own any of it). In the event of a claim, as soon as the insurance company discovered that you owned the car they would cancel the claim, and probably cancel your father's insurance, and possible report both you and your father to the police for either driving without valid insurance, permitting driving without valid insurance, or insurance fraud. Both of you would find your future insurance costs increase dramatically.

However, if your father's insurer offers a "multi-car" policy, that will allow cars owned by other members of the family living at the same address to be covered. Get your father to ask if they offer this.

Do you reside with your dad? Or will your dad have an insurable interest in your car? If either, you dad can insure car.

You can title an automobile in your name at any age. But only a licensed adult can insure and register an automobile. Got it?

If you do not live with your father and you are 18 years of age, or older, you will have to title, insure, and register the vehicle in your name.

Pilsner Man:
Why don't you call your father's insurance company? That's what any intelligent person would do. Of course, your grammar is tilting the scales in the other direction.
Its possible with Geico which is the cheapest car insurance.